Saturday 2 August 2008

Big G – Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive


Today was the Big G - Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive with a choice of either the 100km or the 100 mile route. I had entered the 100 mile route as the 100km is for girls!!!! I was planning to sit in a bunch and enjoy the day speeding round with a chance to sit in the bunch every now and then. It went wrong from the start as the first 10 of us set off and within 10 mile the group was down to 4 and 2 of them were on the 100km route. At the first feed station (about 23 mile) the route splits and there was just 2 of us and the first of the bigger climbs. At this point I dropped the other guy and I was on my own for the next 40 miles. The only problem was that about 3 of the turns on route were not sign posted or the signs had fallen down. I lost the course 3 times and had to double back. On the third time I doubled back as I thought I had lost the course but I was going the right way as I saw 3 other riders coming so did a u turn and got in with them. We stayed together to the 2nd feed station at 73 miles and after that we did some through and off but as the climbs started to take there toll and we dropped 2 of the guys and just me and another lad worked over the hills together and finished feeling strong. I quickly put the bike away and stuck on the trainers and did a quick (2 mile) run to finish off. I really enjoyed the event being on lots of roads I have never cycled and the hills made it a challenge. I think I did it in 5hrs 55. Happy with that given the hills. Click on the link to see the course profile. The weather held out most of the time with just a couple of heavy showers but it was fairly windy all day. http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/nationals/docs/HTRC%20Centenary%20100%20Mile%20Sportive%20Profile.pdf
It was also a chance to test out the new bike which had now been cut to size by Paul at www.hilderthorpecycles.co.uk and it was great. Very comfortable and it climbs and accelerates like a dream, its definitely far superior to the Kuota.

4 comments:

Turbo Man said...

Sounds like a great day out; you are clearly in good form and should be confident of going well at Almere - you are doing Almere aren't you? The Giant sounds fabulous; I am officially envious.

Sags said...

Good one Daz. Sounds like you handles the distance easily! Great that the bike suits you too! We are all in trouble now, as you will puy even more time between yourself and us mortals! When we did the Northampton Sportif we waited until about half of the field had started so we could be around others and get in a group. Good in one respect cause you can draft etc; bad in another respect cause increase the possibility of crashing!

Sags said...

Just checked the profile! No flat on the course at all!!!! Almere will be a doddle!!

Iron Girl said...

That is some profile! I'm glad the bike felt good and hopefully your confidence is soaring as you seem to be in great shape. Are the meds still working?